There’s a great article at MobiForge on how to set up iPhone Push Notification services.
This is Apple’s solution to the problem of not being able to run background applications. Unfortunately, it’s not a viable alternative for applications that need to monitor the phone state, for example, GPS. The push is from a server so for phone monitoring-type applications it’s only suitable for starting applications occasionally to see what’s happened. Even then, the user gets an Apple push notification message that the user has to’View’ every time before the application is started:
- iPhone Dividend
- Rhomobile and App Store Rules
- iPhone Form Factors
- PhoneGap on iPhone
- iPhone Runtimes and Interpreters
- iPhone App Store Top Applications
- $1 iPhone Applications
- iPhone App Gold Rush Over So Soon?
- iPhone Application Gold Rush
- Apple Roadblock
- iPhone 3G Impressions and Development
- Apple WDC2008
- iPhone Long Running Applications
- iPhone SDK - Initial Impressions