Popular mobile services sometimes evolve from something else or their implementation evolves significantly. Two high profile examples are…
- Shozu originally started as a phone sync solution under the Cognima brand, moved over to a camera phone print solution and then moved on to today’s solution as multi site upload.
- Flirtomatic started as an installable application and moved to the mobile web.
- Re-brand to reach new markets
- Re-implement to make it more accessible (app to web, web to app, change of platform)
- Re-purpose to make useful for a different set of users
- Re-visit the business model to make it more financially attractive
- Re-invent parts that’s don’t work
- Re-sell something else off the back of your original idea
- Re-use as much as possible. I have also seen some companies fall down when re-implementation becomes too ambitious and breaks everything.